What can we do to reduce these problems?
- Avoid aggressive driving. It can save 5-33%
- Drive under 60mph or 96km/hr. For every 5 mph over that cause 20¢ extra per gallon, or for every 9km/hr over that causes extra 5¢ per litre.
- Remove excess weight. Every extra 100lb or 50kg causes fuel efficiency to drop 2%
- Avoid excess idling whenever possible
- On the highway, use cruise control or try to maintain a constant speed. This will save fuel
- Use overdrive gear whenever possible as it reduces engine speed, saving fuel as well as reducing wear and tear
- Keep your engine properly tuned. It will save you 4% in fuel
- Change your air filter regularly. It can save you up to 10%
- Check tyre pressure regularly and inflated to vehicle specifications. It can save you up to 3%
- Use recommended grade of motor oil. It can save you 1-2%
Source: High Fuel Prices Killing Families, Vehicle Emissions Killing the Environment